Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Training - Needs Assessment

Training Life Cycle - Step #1 Needs Assessment

In my last post I introduced my version of the Training Life Cycle; containing 5 basic steps. In this post I will spend more time on Step #1 - Needs Assessment.

Priscilla R. Lish Consulting Services ©2015
In my opinion this is the most important step in the process.  It is also the step most often skipped in many organizations. Why? Because managers can sometimes be intimidating in telling the training department that they know what is needed in their department and please "make it so." How do you argue with an executive? The simple answer is that you don't. This is where relationship skills come into play. You as the training manager must find the middle ground and make use of the opportunities to educate your client by asking questions, restating understanding and making recommendations.

For example, I was once approached by an Executive Vice President with a request to deliver training to his direct reports on effective communication. "I want you to start training next week and make it about 3-4 hours."  I had three choices for a response:

  • Sure, I will clear my busy calendar and drop everything I'm doing for you. Monday at 8:30am OK for you?
This response will put you into a tail spin.  It will compromise the work you've already committed to doing for other clients and, trust me, not even that glass of red wine you have at the end of the day will help you feel better.
  • You can't be serious?  What makes you think I've got nothing better to do?
This response will probably land you in the HR office for insubordination.  I don't recommend this one - EVER!
  • OK, do you mind if I ask you a few questions so that I can understand what your expectations are?
This response says, "Your needs are important to me. I want to help by understanding your expectations and desired outcome." It's the perfect opening to launch into the needs assessment.  It also gives your racing heart time to recover.

Below is a job tool (you'll find that I'm very visual and love quick and easy tools in my line of work) that addresses this step for trainers and managers.

Priscilla R. Lish Consulting Services ©2015


There will be a lot of negotiating in this step. The manager needs a solution as quick as possible while the trainer wants to make sure that she delivers the best solution to meet the manager's expectations. I find it best to schedule a second meeting after getting the answers to the needs analysis.  Part of creating a recommended solution is to talk to peers, other departments and actual team members about the needs. You have to be very careful not to make it sound like "your boss thinks you're failing - what do you say about that?" Once again, it's all about the relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.

My approach is to ask "how are things going?"  I have yet to meet an employee that is unwilling to tell you what's going on - especially if they're unhappy about something.  Use open ended questions like:
  • Tell me more.
  • Why do you think that is happening?
  • How long has it been going on?
  • What do you think would be a good solution?
  • Have you talked to your manager about this issue?
Always ask that last question.  It let's the employee know that it's his responsibility to discuss issues with his manager.  If he is unwilling to be part of the solution then he has no right to complain.  The key is to get a feel for what's happening in the department.  This insight will help in recommending an appropriate solution.

Next week I'll post examples and recommendations to be successful in presenting solutions to the client.  Until then, let me know your thoughts and have a great week.


No comments:

Post a Comment